Kitchen Remedies for Common Problems (Part 2)
In continuation for the Part-1 article, here are a few more herbs that are readily available in your kitchen that can be used as remedy for common problems.
5. HINGU (Asafoetida) Ferula narthex (Umbelliferae)
- Hingu in warm state is used to fill the Dental Caries
- Vishama Jwara: Cathurdhaka Jwara is treated by snuffing Hingu mixed with old ghee.
- Madatyaya: Hingu mixed with Sauvarchala Lavana and Maricha shall be given with Madya and Amlakanjika
- Acts as Antioxidant, Antimicrobial, Antifungal, Anticancer, Antidiabetic
6. JATIPHALA (Nutmeg) Myristica fragrans
- YavanaPidika– External application of Jatiphala, Chandana, Maricha.
- Vipadika - JatiphalaKalka is applied topically.
- Atisara: Jatiphala and Sunthi kalka is given orally
- Visuchika: Cold infusion of Jatiphala shall be given orally.
- Mild Anti-bacterial
7. JIRAKA (Cumin seed) Cuminum cyminum (Umbelliferae)
- Amlapitta: Ghee prepared with Jiraka and Dhanyaka.
- Chardi : SouvarchalaLavana , Jiraka, Sarkara and Maricha are mixed with honey
- Vishama Jwara: Jiraka powder should be given with Jaggery
8. LAVANGA(Clove) Syzygium aromaticum (Myrtaceae)
- Lavanga is pounded and applied with warm water in Pain conditions
- Visuchika: Water boiled with clove is filtered and given
- Trishna : Fresh juice of Lavanga may be useful
- Anti-viral activity against herpes simplex
- Anti-inflammatory activity
- Analgesic and Anaesthetic property
- Antioxidant property of clove buds
9. MARICHA (Black pepper) Piper nigrum (Piperaceae)
- Kasa: Maricha with sugar candy, ghee, honey
- Paama: Powder of Maricha with fresh cow ghee
- Sthoulya: Ten grains of Maricha are kept in a betel leaf and consumed, followed by intake of cold water for 2 months
- Grahani: Maricha churna with butter milk. Ashtanga Hridaya
- Anti-bacterial and Anti-tumour
- Anti-inflammatory and Anti-arthritic
Will give advantages of more such herbs in the next article. Stay Natural-Stay Healthy!